We carry out a range of building inspections relating to issuing building permits, building safety, illegal works and essential services inspections.
Types of Inspections
- mandatory inspections relating to building permits;
- pool safety barrier inspections to check owners are maintaining effective safety barriers around their pools or spas;
- smoke alarm inspections for correct placement;
- routine inspections to check owners are maintaining essential services such as fire safety equipment and exit lighting;
- inspections on proposed subdivisions to ensure that each proposed building complies with appropriate fire and exit safety regulations;
- inspections on complaints of illegal building works; and
- after hours emergency call-outs on dangerous buildings.
Some inspections incur a fee which is incorporated into the application fee. Additional inspections will incur additional fees.
Inspections relating to public safety or complaints are carried out as part of our general responsibility of enforcement of building standards, as required by the Building Act 1993.
Fines for breaches of the Building Act and/or regulations
Harsh penalties up to $14,084 for individuals or $70,420 for corporations exist if owners are found guilty of an offence under the Building Act.
Building infringement notices may also be issued for certain types of offences (these are $282 for each individual offence). Failure to pay outstanding infringements or to comply with a building infringement notice may lead to court action where the penalty could escalate up to $7,042.