At the Ordinary Council Meeting on 20 May 2014, Council adopted its 2014–15 Action Plan for its Environmental Sustainability Strategy(EES).
Environmental Sustainability Strategy Action Plan 2014–15 [PDF 30Kb]
Council adopted its Environmental Sustainability Strategy in September 2010.
Environmental Sustainability Strategy [PDF 658Kb]
The 2014-15 Action Plan was developed with consideration of the results of the annual Community Environment Forum in November 2013. The Action Plan was adopted after a draft was open for community consultation until 21 April 2014.
Council will provide municipal services and facilities at the highest possible level of sustainability at the best value for money and will work actively with the community and other levels of government to protect and improve the environment for current and future generations.
In the delivery of Council services and facilities, and at the lowest possible cost to ratepayers, Council will continue to:
- Reduce the use of mains water and use groundwater sustainably.
- Reduce the consumption of non-renewable resources.
- Reduce net emission of greenhouse gases fro Council operations.
- Conserve or enhance Council managed land, biodiversity and environmental heritage in the City.
- Reduce waste and increase diversion of waste from landfill.
- Lead by example in relation to environmental sustainability.
- Improve awareness in the community of the importance of living more sustainably.
- Through the statutory controls of town planning, foster environmentally sensitive design and drought tolerant landscaping.
- The ESS included an Action Plan for the period 2010 to 2012 noting "... the Action Plan will be regularly reviewed for currency". Council last updated its ESS Action Plan in May 2014.